Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Speech and a New "Do"



If you haven't had a chance to listen to President Obama's inauguration speech yet, I suggest you give it a listen. I can sum it up in one word...WOW! It was truly amazing and inspiring. I know there are a lot of Mccain/Palin supporters out there that are very upset with our new president elect. But let me just say this...we can only look forward, what's done is done, we are one nation with one president and we are taught (even in the scriptures) that we should support our president and obey the laws of the land. We have nothing to fear except God. If we are afraid of anything but God, we should probably rethink a few things. When the "bulk" of the election began and I listened to both sides, I didn't know who to vote for. I mainly focused on what their positions were on health care (since I work for an insurance company) and to be honest, both of the opinions to "fix" the health care system really stunk. I would definitely consider myself a republican, but to be honest, I really couldn't stand McCain, he just drove me nuts, I can't tell you what it was, and please don't even get me started on Palin! Wow! Anyways Biden drove me nuts too so I was completely at a loss. But let me just say that after the speech that President Obama gave today I was truly amazed and inspired that things in this country really can change and that we all need to pitch in and put one foot in front of the other. I'm sure that even 10 years ago if someone had come to me and said that there would be an african-american president, I would have laughed in their face. What an amazing day for the african-american community. This day proves that America really is the place where dreams are made and can really come true. I am so proud to live in this country with all of the freedoms that we enjoy and am grateful for the sacrifices made for those freedoms.



I just wanted to quote a few of my favorite things in President Obama's speech and also a few things from Rev. Joseph Lowery's benediction (he also did an amazing job)

"We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness."

"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America. "

"Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions — who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short. For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage. "

"We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."

"As we consider the road that unfolds before us, we remember with humble gratitude those brave Americans who, at this very hour, patrol far-off deserts and distant mountains. They have something to tell us, just as the fallen heroes who lie in Arlington whisper through the ages. We honor them not only because they are guardians of our liberty, but because they embody the spirit of service; a willingness to find meaning in something greater than themselves. And yet, at this moment — a moment that will define a generation — it is precisely this spirit that must inhabit us all"

"So let us mark this day with remembrance, of who we are and how far we have traveled. In the year of America's birth, in the coldest of months, a small band of patriots huddled by dying campfires on the shores of an icy river. The capital was abandoned. The enemy was advancing. The snow was stained with blood. At a moment when the outcome of our revolution was most in doubt, the father of our nation ordered these words be read to the people:
"Let it be told to the future world...that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive ... that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet [it]."
America. In the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations"

(I know I practically copied the speech in it's entirety, but it was just so great I had to choose the best quotes from it)

And a few things from Rev. Joseph Lowery's benediction (what a cool guy)



"make choices on the side of love, not hate, on the side of inclusion not exclusion, tolerance not intolerance."

And the best one...(if you haven't heard him actually speak this...it's great)

"....help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."

What a great day in American History!

And on a different note, I cut my hair...short...really short...check it out! (it's kinda hard to see but you get it for the most part)

3 comments:

melynda said...

i love you hair its really cute!!

Alexander Family said...

I really like your hair - it is cute. I agree with your comments on the speech also. I didn't hear him give it in person, but when I read it, I thought it was well written. It is also good that the nation has been able to come togother more as a community.

-Suzanne

Bush's said...

his speech was inspiring...but look at what is happening to prop 8 now that he is in office. I hope he can turn the economy, but he may crush the sanctity of family in the mean time. Check out this article: http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=42233

love the hair by the way!