Saturday, July 18, 2009

Kids say the darndest (and most embarrassing) things!

This is a conversation we had the other night at Chili's:

Riley (remember he's 4): "Mom, aren't you so glad I'm white?" (Oh and before I continue we are sitting next to a group of Asian and darker skinned people)
Me and Jacob: "Riley, what are you talking about?"
Riley: "Well I just remember you saying that you are glad that I'm white but Katelyn is really brown! Why is Katelyn brown and I'm white?"
(at this point Jacob raises his eyebrows at me as if to say "yeah why is Katelyn brown and Riley is white?) He was Joking with me and started laughing but I about smacked him...anyways...on with the conversation...
Me: "Riley, the reason I said that was because it means that I have been taking good care of your skin by putting on sunscreen. Mommy just wants you to have good healthy skin when you grown up."
Riley: "Oh, but why is Katelyn brown?"
Me: "Katelyn has darker skin because daddy has darker skin and so does grandma's family so she gets really tan when she goes out in the sun."
Riley: "Oh"
At this point I am feeling really stupid and people probably think I'm the worst mother in the entire world!
But before you throw rocks at me for raising my kid to be a bigot...let me explain...About two weeks ago my sister-in-law brought her kids over so they could play with my kids. We were all in the kitchen and we were talking about how Katelyn has much darker skin than all of the other grandkids in the family (Jacob's mom is from New Zealand and most of his cousins, aunts and uncles have very dark skin, they are 1/2 polynesian) then I was holding my nephew who is 7 months old and I said to my sister-in-law that his skin was soooo white and she said she was proud of his "whiteness" because she has been avoiding putting him directly into the sun and I started laughing and said I was proud of Riley's "whiteness" too. We were all in the same room and I figured the kids were playing and didn't hear a word we had said...boy was I WRONG!
Oh well, I just have to adore my little boy who remembers EVERYTHING I say good or bad...ugh! I guess I need to start explaining every little thing I say so he doesn't misunderstand or interpret it differently from what I really mean! Geez, kids are like little sponges! (When I get my camera to work I will post some pics of the difference in Katelyn's skin and Riley's skin so you can see. I will also post a pic of the difference between mine and Jacob's skin...it's quite scary! I tell Jacob that every summer it feels like I'm married to a new man because he tans so quickly and his skin gets so dark! hahaha)

1 comment:

The Hiatt's said...

lol! your not a bad mommmy... kids just see things in a innocent light... :)